Monday 9 September 2013

The Build.

Building a house.  Certainly on the top of my (imaginary) list of 'things I love to hate and hate to love'.
It was fun and stressful and painful and miraculous, all at the same time... kind of like childbirth, I guess - except the baby lives in you and you live in the house? Whatevs.

Anyway, getting on with this post..

I won't bore you with the billions of details that were involved in the building process, but I will share a brief summary of how the house went from this:

to this:
in approximately 3 months.
[by far, the longest 3 months of my liiiiife]

I will preface by saying that we "purchased" the house back in October 2012 - signed some paperwork to hold the land, put down a down payment, etc.

We stared at a SOLD sign and an un-dug site for almost 6 months before they actually broke ground. Frustrating, to say the least, but once they did break ground, the progress was fast-ass (that's a little faster than 'fast'!)

Here's a series of photos to give you an idea of how quickly it went:

This is after they levelled the land:
April 2, 2013
FINALLY READY to start diggin'.  Let me tell ya -- I never imagined that seeing a bulldozer would  ever excite me, as much as it did on this day.  A bulldozer made my day - who woulda' thunk..
April 4, 2013
We've got a hole! (a flooded hole, but a hole none-the-less!)
April 9, 2013
 Foundation poured
April 21, 2013
Roxy, super-excited!  
Brian, fake-excited
and Xander, "that's-a-big-rock-over-there-excited"


 Joists.  That is all.
April 30, 2013
 First floor framed, what-whaaat!
May 1, 2013
 Creeper shot of the second floor (didn't want to get too close with all those people working)
 I can see my bedroom!
May 7, 2013
 RAISE THE ROOOOF!
May 11, 2013
 An interior shot from the back of the house
May 11, 2013

The shingles are on, the windows are in, and the porch is...railed?
May 17, 2013
The builder gave us an option to build a deck.  It was built and ready for BBQ'ing before the rest of the house was even finished!
May 31, 2013
 Special delivery!  DRYWALL
June 5, 2013
 Jumping for joy cuz he's just so darned excited for drywall!
June 5, 2013

Marking my territory (with a Sharpie, not pee.)
June 8, 2013
 Drywall is up and its really starting to look like a "house" 
June 15, 2013
 Siding is started on the exterior

First coat of paint goes up
June 18,2013
 Siding is all done now.  Good, cuz the house felt naked without it.
June 18, 2013
 An (unpainted) front door is attached and for the next month, the rest of the work is all done on the interior of the house.
June 23, 2013

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

The house gets a driveway and some landscaping about a week before "move-in"day, and it's as close to being ready as it'll ever be:
July 24, 2013
So that's the build. Nothing to it! (not)
I have to say that it was an extremely rewarding experience, and now that I'm here enjoying it, it was well worth the wait.

Stay tuned for more house progress posts..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...