Contrary to one might think (based on my lack of updates) I've been really busy with the interior planning of the house that we're building.
So much is involved in picking out finishes and furniture and appliances, but I'm glad to report that we are approximately 65% done with the process.
Within the first week of moving down here, Brian and I had already gone out and bought all of our major appliances: fridge / freezer, dishwasher, stove, microwave / hood fan, washer and dryer.
Within the first two weeks of moving down here, we had already pre-picked most of our finishes, and within the first month, we solidified those choices at our initial interior design meeting.
The kitchen is so important to me -- it's where I'll cook meals for the people I love, it's where we will all gather. To me, it's the heart of the home.
Here is a mood board that I've been working on for the kitchen:
1. Overall paint in the house: Sherwin-Williams Techno Gray - this wasn't my first pick, since it seemed to have more of a green undertone to it, but the more we stared at it and put it against other finishes, the more I fell in love with it
2. Main Kitchen Cabinets: 42" Merillat Spring Valley Square on Maple - Chiffon - my first choice was to go with a super clean shaker door, but this option was way out of our price range. We went down one level, but I'm still happy with the look of the door. These will be the main upper and lower cabinets along the perimeter of the kitchen. We chose to go with an off-white colour, so that they aren't too bright
3. Main Kitchen Countertops: Corian in Medea
4. Island Cabinets: Merillat Spring Valley Square on Maple - Kona - we wanted our island to pop and almost appear like a separate piece of furniture in the room (see inspiration photo in top left corner). The island is somewhat of a custom piece in the kitchen (doesn't come standard in the configuration that we requested). Will post something about the island in the future.
5. Island Countertops: Corian in Sagebrush - this countertop pulls a little bit of the green from the paint, off white from the cabinets and a little bit of the brown from the Kona espresso cabinets also.
6. Faucet: Kraus commercial-style faucet - this is going to be my pride and joy... love how it looks, and it's 2 feet tall!
7. Kitchen Sink: Farmhouse Stainless Steel Apron Sink - haven't solidified the brand yet, but we're certain that we're getting this style, in 33" wide, single-bowl
8. Dishwasher: GE stainless steel - nothing very exciting about this appliance, lol.
9. Microwave / Range hood / Convection oven: Viking Professional
10. Range: Viking Professional, 30" 4-burner, Gas
11. Fridge / Freezer: Whirlpool full-sized
12. Table: we haven't decided on the table yet, but we know that it will have to be espresso and no more that 36" wide, as we'll be extending it from the island to look something like this
13. Floors: Solid Hickory Hardwood, 4" planks, hand scraped - we love the warmth and versatility that these floors will bring into the space. Hand scraped means that they aren't a smooth finish, therefore, less pressure to keep them perfect! Each plank will be a different colour and will have different grain and character.
So THAT'S the kitchen!
I can't wait to see it all come together -- I'm super stoked about finally getting in there and making magic!