Saturday 16 July 2011

Stuffed French toast = heaven



Father's day was pretty chill this year.  We had just come off a really busy week, with Xander's 1st birthday, Brian's parents leaving, my dad's 65th birthday party and my sister and her family visiting from Mississauga. 
I wanted to make sure that I still did something semi-memorable for Brian, as he really deserved it for being a great dad.  And how better can I express my love, than with FOOD.


For years and years, I had wanted to make stuffed French toast, after seeing it being made on a show on the Food Network.  The recipe called for brioche bread -- something that I was NEVER able to find...anywhere.  Until finally, I found some here as mentioned in this previous post.


Anyway, since I had never really ever written the recipe down (nor did I bother to research it), I went along and made it, the way I thought it should be made...in other words, like all of the food I make, I winged it.


So here it is, for anyone interested in making it themselves, or for an awesome significant other -- cuz let's face it, something like this NEEDS to be shared. It's way too good to keep it to yourself :)




What you'll need:
1 loaf of brioche
3 peaches
1/4 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
3 tbsp of butter
fresh berries for topping

1. Cut up your peaches into slices (with or without skin) and place into a saucepan with sugar.  Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until peaches become soft and sugar becomes syrup-like.  Allow to cool slightly and set aside.


2. In a shallow bowl (I used a glass pie plate), whisk together egg, milk, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.


3. With a bread knife, cut brioche into 1 1/4" slices.



4. From top of slice, cut slit  down into bread to create a pocket

5. Using a slotted spoon, remove peaches from saucepan, allowing syrup to stay in pan.  Stuff pocket with peaches.

6. Dunk stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture.  Allow bread to soak in mixture a few seconds on each side.


7. Over medium heat, melt butter and coat bottom of pan before placing bread down.



8. Cook on each side until golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes on each side.


9. Place toast onto plate and use any leftover peaches and syrup to pour over  toast.  Top with berries and ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...